Australian Open junior champion Oliver Anderson has been charged by police with involvement in match fixing following an investigation, according to reports.
Victoria Police announced on Thursday that an 18-year-old man from Queensland had been charged following alleged match-fixing at a tournament in Traralgon in October.
The player was named by the Age newspaper as Anderson, who defeated Jurabek Karimov to win the boys' title at Melbourne Park, a year ago.
The charge relates to a first-round match in a Challenger tournament, a lower-level event on the ATP Tour, when Anderson was allegedly approached to ‘throw’ the first set against another Australian, Harrison Lombe.
Anderson lost the first set 4-6 before winning the next two 6-0 6-2. He then lost his second round match.
The news comes as a shock for Australian tennis officials, just before less than two weeks remaining for the start of the first Grand Slam of the season.
The opening days of last year’s Australian Open were overshadowed by revelations in a report by the BBC that tennis authorities had failed to properly investigate suspicion of match-fixing involving up to 16 players who had been ranked in the top 50 in the past decade.
Tennis' governing bodies later announced the formation of an independent review into the sport's anti-corruption practices.
Tennis Australia last month announced increased measures to fight corruption, including the appointment of two full-time investigators to its National Integrity Unit, anti-corruption officers at all of its professional tournaments.
Former World No.1, Novak Djokovic after winning his quarter-final match in the Qatar Open on Thursday, said he very disappointed to hear about the allegations involving Anderson.
“Very disappointing to hear, that, especially considering the fact that he’s young and won the junior grand slam. Obviously the quality is there and the potential is there,” Djokovic said.